Monday, September 2, 2013

Millennials

As I set out to explore what a Millennial was, I was curious to find how I would compare to the generation. Surprisingly, I was not as close in mindset as I may have expected. Millennials are those in the generation now approaching 30 (I just missed this by a year) and as young as teens. They are very technology savvy and can't remember when texting wasn't a part of their life. :) Hard to believe for some of us!
Here is How I Measure Up
After taking the Millennial Quiz, I scored right between the two generations of Generation X and Millennial. My profile score of a 48 puts me in and out of the information age. When I took the test there were areas I could clearly identify the areas that separate my score from the Millennial generation, such as having a land line telephone and no Facebook page...yeah you read that correctly.
What Does This Mean As a Teacher Today
Although I am not 100 percent in the mind set of the Millennial age, I do not feel like this puts me OUT or unable to teach my students better than the next teacher. Some of the things that brought my Millennial score down are the very things that keep me grounded and able to relate to a broad range of generations. Although technology is our way of life and will continue to be, it is important to be able to relate to the parents of our students as well. I see myself as being technology capable and informed, yet able to bridge the gap between my students and their parents.
Frand's Construct of the Information Age
This quote really makes me laugh and is a great visual of what a millennial is. Frand states,
"Many young people today are accustomed to watching TV, talking on the phone, doing homework, eating, and interacting with their parents all at the same time."Read more.
His construct of the millennial age is outlined by these 10 characteristics. They describe a change, how people do things, and subliminal needs. All of these characteristics contribute to an advanced technology based culture.
1. Computers Aren’t Technology
2. Internet Better Than TV
3. Reality No Longer Real
4. Doing Rather Than Knowing
5. Nintendo over Logic
6. Multitasking Way of Life
7. Typing Rather Than Handwriting
8. Staying Connected,
9. Zero Tolerance for Delays
10. Consumer/Creator Blurring

No comments:

Post a Comment