Sunday, November 3, 2013

Creativity

I found Dr. Robinsons Ted Talk to be very intriguing. He makes the point that people are born creative people and as a society we teach people out of being creative, or rather using their creative minds. As I was listening to him talk I found myself thinking so much of my three children, all 4 years and younger. They are so creative in the way they think and play, and I love watching them explore. Their creative solutions to problem solving and putting things together amazes me daily.
Dr. Robinson also talks about the people being afraid to "be wrong" by the time they enter collage and they have already stopped pushing themselves to try new ideas in fear of being wrong. In my classroom of first graders I am constantly trying to get my students to use their imaginations. Some of them are wonderful at this task, but others are already afraid of what might happen if they are "wrong". I am in disbelief that they have already been pushed to only do things one way that they no longer are using their creative minds. In my class it is very difficult to be wrong, because we are learning new strategies and exploring new ways to see math and science. I encourage my students to try and if they are unable to find the solution then try something else. They are rewarded for sharing ideas and trying them out to see if it lead them to success.
I am thinking of sharing Dr. Roninsons Ted Talk with my colleagues as a reminder of how important creative thinking is for us as people, learners and successful individuals. I also love his example of the difference in the way men and women cook...so true! And isn't it really true in life as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment