Sunday, November 3, 2013

Carpe Diem vs. St Marys Learning


This presentation states that software plus mobile is the transformation of K-12 education. My elementary school has taken this to heart for better learning by allowing 5th and 6th graders to bring smartphones(byod) to class as a means of using good resources and apps as a way of teaching and learning. I think this is a great idea and good way of staying in touch with reality. If the world is moving forward with technology there is no reason for us to ignore the benefits for learning. Our students today are so technology savvy, they are are capable of navigating the apps and enjoy using them for learning. I do not think that technology should ever replace education as we know it, but it certainly can enhance it. 
Carpe Diem vs. St. Marys:
The Carpe Diem model of educating students in cubes for half the day seems to minimize thinking and rather masters the skills of memorizing. The St. Marys model of learn by doing gives children an opportunity to work together and problem solve where they master those skills as well as learn the content. As mentioned in the video, a combination of the two is ideal for learning, as our school is trying to accomplish.
In my classroom I am more prepared to teach by the St. Marys learning style, learn by doing. I see such a value in teamwork and problem solving skills that it is hard for me to see myself teaching in a Carpe Diem style all the time. In my classroom we use ipads, laptops and smartboards when possible. I would ideally like to have ipads or tablets available to my students everyday, but our school shares 16 and it is on a sign up system. We visit the computer lab and students learn to use reading, math and science programs for learning. I am prepared to incorporate more software and devices into my teaching, but am not prepared to give up my St. Marys model.
By 2015 will all kids have a mobile device for learning? They absolutely will, but I hope it will be in a learn by doing model where we don't loose sight of the importance of peer interaction and peer learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment